Thursday, September 01, 2005

Good v. Evil, 531 U.S. 98 (2000)

There are those who like to look at the world as being influenced by a struggle between Good and Evil, some even take it a step further and prescribe "forces" to these two words. We've all heard the terms being used by the pundits, politicos and holy persons on all sides. If I had a dime each time they were spoken, written or otherwise transmitted to me I'd have a lot of change, but if I had a dime for every time someone has taken the time to explained to me what Good is or what Evil is, I'd hardly have enough for a cup of coffee. Who or what has the authority to decide? It is easy to scoff at such an elementary question regarding the meaning of Good and Evil, which is why I believe it is often overlooked. But if you’re living your life while seeking and avoiding these things wouldn’t it be wise to explore their meaning to the greatest of depths? For all of our benefit do not turn it into a meaningless philosophical exercise, but continually hold your ideas of Good and Evil up against your own life. How ever brutal it may be don’t stop asking yourself, “why?”

No comments: